CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

WOW


I just started reading the book "The Year of Living Biblically" by AJ Jacobs, and WOW am I hooked!  The premise is that the author, technically Jewish but self-proclaimed agnostic, takes a full year and attempts to follow all Biblical laws, suggestions, and guidelines literally.  Everything including "love your neighbor", "be fruitful and multiply", disciplining with the "rod", and not wearing clothes of mixed fibers.  The book is light-hearted yet reflective, hilarious, and completely true (although since it is narrative, is the closest thing to fiction I've read in about five years, save children's stories) and his journey is fascinating.  Above all, he is an absolutely fabulous writer!  He's not a lofty Shakespear-type, but has this way of drawing you in and holding you captive until every last word has been ingested.  The pervious book he wrote was about reading the Encyclopedia Britannica, all of it, from A-Z.  Who can sell a book about that?  Apparently he's that captivating!


I am only one month into his journey, and so far he has not made any great spiritual leaps.  He is still trying to follow all the rules (he counted well over 700).  He has grown in a few areas such as coveting far less and being slower to anger.  Already I am inspired.  In preparation for his journey he spent four weeks reading the Bible, five hours a day.  And I have trouble with my daily devos! Every day his head is filled with thoughts of what the Bible requires and if his words and actions are keeping in line with Biblical principles.  Obviously, without Christ (so far) he is missing the point of it all.  But man, I'm only on page 45 and already I'm put to shame.

7 comments:

matthew said...

Sounds interesting. Is he just doing the OT laws or NT too?

Dena said...

He is devoting 8 months to OT and 4 to NT, following approximate devision of the testaments.

Kelly said...

I saw that book in a bookstore a while ago and was interested...I wasn't sure whether it'd be a good read or not, though. I'll have to check it out!

Owen said...

I'm assuming that the point at the end of the book is that living by biblical principals is impossible and pointless.

I'm going to pick it up and read it though.

Dena said...

I'm not sure what the point at the end will be. So far it is written journal style chronicling many of his experiences. Obviously, following all these rules just as rules and not part of a belief system IS pointless. I am on pins and needles waiting to see if all this leads to some kind of conversion or spiritual awakening at the end. So far it is leading him to moral betterment.

Andrew Benson said...

I saw him on the TODAY show quite a while back - it was a great interview. I know the end result and his thoughts on the process since he discussed it in the interview - but I'll let you discover it for yourself.
He was hilarious during the interview ( I believe there is also a documentary of his journey) and I made a mental note at the time to pick up the book. I had forgotten until now, so thanks for the reminder. I think it would be a good read!

Unknown said...

oh that last comment says it was from ANDREW. Nope..it was KRISTI - didn't know he was signed in. oops!