CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 14, 2008

¡Ole!



Saturday night as I was just about to go to bed (way too late at 11:45) I heard music start to play outside.  This is quite common, as many people here have parties way into the wee hours of the morning, and there is nothing you can do about it.  But this time I was not hearing the latest reggeton from someone's ginormous sound system, but a live Mariachi band.  Mariachis are originally from Mexico, but are also found here for birthdays or special occasions.  I thought I would head to bed anyway and enjoy the music as I drifted off to sleep, but it sounded like the Mariachis were practically at my front door, so I unlocked the doors and ventured out for a little look.  Sure enough, they were standing *at* my door, serenading the lady in the second floor apartment across the street (complete with trumpets, guitars and all!  At midnight!).  There were about 15-20 people gathered behind the band, adding to the celebration.  I just lingered in my doorway enjoying the music and the flattered look on the lady's face, relishing in the fact that I live in a place where Mariachis can serenade (as they have done for centuries) at midnight, and the whole neigbourhood rejoices.  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

cool. very cool. I would love experiencing that too.

Weavers said...

that is awesome!

Owen said...

Hopefully this will give El some ideas.......

Elliott said...

don't count on it ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the GPS, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://gps-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Sarah said...

That's great. It reminds me of when Ben and I were in Prague. Ben and I heard some people singing in Czech to a couple who had just got engaged at the restaurant across the road. Experiences like that are hard to come by!