CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 29, 2008

On Shaky Ground

Where I am from, the climate changes produce thunder storms and a tornado or two.  But here in Peru they produce earthquakes.  Last night around 1:30 am we had one about 4.5 or so.  It was about 40 miles north of us, and I didn't even wake up to notice it.  Ell is at church at a weekend board retreat, and called this morning to make sure I was okay.  Since I had no idea, I was or course fine.  


Then at about 7:45 this morning we had another quake.  This time it was about 5.5 and 15 miles south of us.  The house shook pretty good, but it didn't last long.  The only reason I was nervous, which I usually am not, was because I was downstairs in the kitchen making breakfast and the kids were in the family room upstairs when it happened.  I ran up the rumbling stairs and hopped over the baby gate, hoping nothing had fallen on my babies.  They were fine, and Shaylee seemed totally unaware.  Micaiah looked at me like, "what?".  

We have had no aftershocks from this one, although Ell said we had them all through the night.  I am grateful to the Lord for always protecting us.  Most Peruvians are used to this, and although they take precautions, don't seem to mind.  It takes a little getting used to for us.  But I know that any Peruvian would be scared silly to spend March or April in the midwest and see lightening and downpours.

1 comments:

Owen said...

Wow. I would be terrified- but it must be comforting that the locals don't seem bothered. I hope you stay safe!